Hey! So, I've been meaning to make this post for awhile. It's my "It Gets Better" post. :) Most people do there's in a form of a video but I decided to just stick too blogging. Seems to work out better for me. So here is my life as an LGBT and my coming out experience. I came out as Bi the last week of May 2012. I had been dating my girlfriend of the time for only about a week. This was the first girl I had dated. Some people would say "Why come out then?" Well my mom and I have a very close relationship and I did not like having the secret between us. I told her through text. Not my best move ever but I had been so scared to tell her in general that I didn't think I would have been able to speak the words. Well here's some background on my family. Generations upon generations of hard core Christians. They believe homosexuality is a sin and anyone who is LGBT should be damned to hell. SO you can imagine how that conversation went between my mother and I. I actually ended up getting locked out of my house for two hours. And when she let me back in I grabbed a sweatshirt and went and sat in a park til midnight. I then did not hear one word from my mother for a week. This was really hard on me because all I had wanted was acceptance from the one person I thought would love me unconditionally and now she wouldn't even talk to me. So that week came and went and I was at school and my phone goes off. My mom had text me and pretty much said that even though she didn't agree with my choices and what I wanted to do with my life she was going to love me anyways. And that was all I had ever hoped for. Over the next 4 months of that girl and I dating my mom struggled with the thought of it. She mostly just refered to her as a friend and nothing more. I could be ok with that if that's what helped her sleep at night. My other family members were all pretty understanding. Except for my Aunt. She is still (Even now that I'm single) Convinced I am a full lesbian and going to hell. So in some senses it's always going to be a struggle. But you have to remember you can't control how people think and what they believe. SO school and friends was another interesting coming out experience. I was very open immediately with all of them. I was in love with a girl. So what. I had nothing to hide. I'm Bi And Proud Baby. But again there are those people that see it as an awful thing. I had a lot of very nasty names thrown my way. Most people can imagine what it might be. "Dike" was the worst. It hurt a lot. What angered me the most is my best friend starting getting harassed just for hanging out with me. People would often associate her as "My lesbian lover" and make fun of her too. When in all reality she is the straightest girl you will ever meet. SO summer came and the harassment at least died done. Wasn't in my immediate life. I surrounded myself with accepting and loving people and had no problems. Well then fair came. In the small town I live in Fair is a big deal so everyone is there. I had been dreading that fact all week because I knew the harassers would be there. But I went anyways. No way were they going to ruin my fun. It actually went pretty well. Except there was one day I was there that I ran into the exact people I was trying to avoid. One kid looked up and was like "Look who is it" while the other one proceeded to spit at me. It hurt but I moved on. Now we are back in school and I see these kids everyday and they have not said anything. I don't know if they decided it wasn't that big of a deal or I just wasn't worth their time but either way it gets better. My biggest suggestion for all you LGBTQ kids out there wanting to come out or who have already came out. Be proud of who you are. Surround yourself with people you love and who love you no matter what because it's really important to have that support. People aren't always going to like who you are. But just know I haven't even met you yet and I love you. Because us LGBT kids are a family and we need to stick together. :)
Love!
Chelsi
No comments:
Post a Comment